CrossFit Harrisonburg is the gym you choose when you want results.
We work together as a team committed to excellence, innovation, and expansion. We demand high performance expectations of one another and a mindset of excellence. We are constantly striving for improvement from our members, ourselves as individuals, and our knowledge and abilities.
MEMBER FOCUS Members are the life source of our affiliate, the heartbeat of what we do. Without them we do not exist. We are dedicated to putting our members at the very center of everything we do and are committed to improving their quality of life, health, and well-being.
COMMUNITY We are a diverse group of people who are committed to the cultivation of positive professional relationships with our staff and members. We strive to be a positive asset to our local, national, and global communities through the avenues of health, fitness, and charity. We look to create an open, all-inclusive safe space for people of all races, creeds, colors, and/or identities to find common ground built on health and wellness.
EMPOWERMENT The way we deliver our member experience is built to empower individuals to challenge themselves in ways they never would have imagined in the realms of physical, emotional and social fitness, and mental fortitude.
Results. We want our gym to be the best results-based fitness facility in the valley. We want our members to feel like our gym is the best place in Virginia to workout. We want our members to set goals and achieve them — results, results results. We want the hour you spend with us to be the best hour of your day.
Community. We want a strong community of fitness minded people that cheer for each other and help each other grow in all of their pursuits. We want CFH to have 150 members. We believe 150 is the perfect size for a strong community — a community that supports each other, takes care of each other, and looks out for each other. A strong community is made up of individuals who take care of each other, take care of the facilities, and contribute to the successes of everyone.
The CrossFit Harrisonburg Difference
- When a person joins CFH they are making a change in their life for the better. At CFH they will find a warm, caring, and POSITIVE environment, always. This is who we are. This is a fundamental element in what makes us different. Our communication and how we choose to represent ourselves will always embrace the positive — likewise, our messages will focus on positive development. I.e. how to intrinsically motivate ourselves, think positively, live with less stress, etc… Ultimately we will represent an environment of growth. If a person is trying to better themselves then we will be the perfect location for them.
- Guiding Athletes Through Their Fitness Journey
- We guide athletes through their entire fitness journey. And a journey means growth. Clients will first go through our on-boarding process where we teach the fundamentals and we position the client to become a participating athlete in our group classes.
- Second, we continue to develop this athlete’s fitness and skills through both group and individual coaching. Our coaches are always looking to improve the athletes in their classes. Often this can be done with coaching cues within the group environment. But sometimes this will require one-on-one coaching. One-on-one coaching is a fundamental element of all elite gyms. Simply put, athletes learn better with singularly focused attention and coaches coach better with singularly focused attention.
- Third, athletes will be guided on nutrition and supplementation through the help of our on-staff Registered Dietician. Nutrition is the foundation of health, change, fighting disease, even hitting that PR on anything from a mile run to a max Snatch. We want to teach our athletes the fundamentals of proper fueling, eating to fight disease, and how to balance life with a healthy lifestyle that suits each and every member.
- We tailor workouts to meet our athletes where they are. The focus should be on tailoring workouts and not just scaling.
- Fourth, athletes will be assessed often. We will assess all areas that the athlete deems important and we will have a standard set of measurables (our levels) to help athletes better understand their progress. Often assessments will be performance based. And this should not just happen once a year during the open. We want our athletes to regularly check in with us and talk about their growth, their plateaus, and their goals. Important note: we want to represent a positive culture and we have to be careful with assessment — but when appropriate, non-performance assessments could be useful if handled correctly.
Big Picture: We are the guides in your fitness journey. The journey never stops. So the guides should never stop guiding. Athletes should constantly be seeking the next target in their journey and our gym and its coaches should be helping all athletes to reach those next targets.
We are passionate about fitness and seeing our members progress in their fitness journey.
We are friendly and positive always; we want the hour a member spends at the gym to be the best hour of his or her day.
We believe in research based, scientifically proven, methodologies and we will always adapt and change to best meet the needs of our members — our members deserve results. Excellence and maximizing potential is always our goal.
We are a community and a team. Our team members are loyal and committed to our vision to make our gym the best place to workout in our area.
Who We Are
We are a family owned business – a small family in a small town. I (Steph) have been a part of CrossFit Harrisonburg since 2013 when I was recruited by former owner, Garth, to be a part of his coaching team. And my husband, Erik, has been working out with me in gyms all over Harrisonburg since we met in 2004 (we actually bonded over fitness)!
In 2020, Erik and I were given a dream opportunity to become the new owners of CrossFit Harrisonburg, and we could NOT pass that up. After teaching group fitness, bootcamp, and CrossFit for years, I knew that this was meant to be. And Erik – who’s been a “gym rat” and a coach most of his life, felt the same.
But my life wasn’t always fitness oriented. When I got into fitness in the early 2000s, it wasn’t because I loved it like I do now – it was because like many people who walk into gyms, I NEEDED it. I was the product of processed food and no exercise and had gained a lot of weight in my early 20s. Erik decided to teach me all he knew about the weight room and soon enough, I fell in love with the process. I read every book on food and fitness that I could get my hands on, attended every training I could afford, became a personal trainer, and then became certified in every single fitness class I could ever teach.
This new passion of mine sent me into a complete career change. I went from teaching English to teaching Fitness and I couldn’t be happier. Throughout my years in the gym, I’ve taught everything from cardio kickboxing and spin to kettlebell, bootcamp, TRX, and even yoga/pilates. But in 2009 I was introduced to CrossFit and my love of fitness exploded. I became the first person in the city of Harrisonburg to be CrossFit L1 certified and just couldn’t wait to bring CF back to the valley. To me, CrossFit is life changing. From my career to my health – both physical and mental – I owe it to CrossFit. And now my kids get to grow up watching their parents do something they love – and that keeps them healthy too. You’ll actually see both of our kiddos in the gym every now and then. Our oldest, Brielle, is usually trying to teach a class (she asks every day, “When can I coach a real class?” -she’s 4, btw), and Callan, who’s 1, is typically trying to pick up a weight the same size as himself. I’m certain he’s going to be a heavy lifter. Life is good.
I could write a book on how much I love lifting, and how much I want every single person I know to experience that same thrill. And whether it’s running a marathon or setting a new Deadlift PR, I just want the world (or Harrisonburg) to know that fitness is fun, fitness increases our daily energy, boosts our moods, (and metabolisms!), and it saves lives.