I sure as heck hope 2021 is going to be a …. different year than 2020. So far, January at the gym has been hoppin’! Personally, I’ve loved seeing attendance pick up and our JMU’ers come back to classes.
So what’s new for 2021 so far? A few things!
First up – Membership Options and No-Sweat Intros
- We’ve updated, added, and changed some membership options for the gym – including nutrition coaching packages, one-on-one personal training packages, and even a combo CrossFit-Bootcamp membership! ( <- you asked for it, you got it!) To sign up for any of these new packages, just shoot me (Steph) a message!
- No-Sweat Intros: Instead of offering free trials at the gym, instead we are scheduling “No Sweat Intro” meetings. These meetings take about 15 minutes. Potential new members will meet with Steph or another coach, tour the gym, chat about goals and discuss paths for success. No workout – just conversation! (We actually launched this website – Getfitharrisonburg.com as a way to get sign-ups for these sessions!)
Second – Rowing and Yoga!
- I don’t know if you know this, but one of our newer CrossFit members is on the rowing team at UNC, Chapel Hill! Lily is going to be hosting a rowing clinic on Saturday Jan 30th at 11am. This is a first come first serve sign up event – and it’s FREE!! Thank you Lily! You definitely don’t want to miss out – Lily is going to work with us to improve technique and become more efficient rowers. Sign up with this link.
- YOGA/MOBILITY! (Caps, because you know you need it.) 😉 Starting this Sunday, the 24th, we will now be offering yoga/mobility at 10am, and Tuesdays at 7pm. The cost of class will be a $5 drop in for all current members, $12 for non-members, and FREE for our combo CrossFit and Bootcamp members. Reserve a spot for January classes here:
Third – Challenges and Competitions
- The CrossFit Open is upon us and I cannot stress HOW.MUCH.FUN this worldwide competition is. We want to encourage EVERYONE – both CrossFit and Bootcamp to sign up for the Open and come workout and have FUN. This year, the open will have four competitive categories: Rx, Scaled, Fundamentals, and At-Home/No-Equipment. We will post more details about the open soon (make sure you’re following us on IG @cfharrisonburg) but in the meantime, go ahead and sign up at https://games.crossfit.com/!
- Jump Rope Challenge: CrossFit Mayhem (our programming gym) is running a DBU / jump rope challenge in January. And we’re offering prizes to go with it! For each day that you do 150 Double Unders or 300 Singles, you can enter for a free CrossFit Open entry. We have a box and entry slips by the white board. We’ll draw two winners at the end of January!
- The 1000 Rep Challenge! Because jumping rope and getting ready for the Open isn’t enough, why not add a 1000 rep challenge to your plate? Ok, it’s not as bad as it sounds but it’s a GREAT motivating tool. Between Jan 10 and the end of March, we’re encouraging anyone who wants to participate, to complete 1000 reps of Burpees, Wall Balls, Box Jumps/Step-Ups, Push-Ups, Sit-Ups and Kettlebell Swings. The cost to enter the challenge is $25 and you get a super cool Hoodie for that cost. To sign up and get your swag, go HERE.
- Next month we’ll be running a Non-Diet Nutrition Challenge. TBH, it’s less of a challenge and more of a learning opportunity. You’ll learn about your personal BMR and caloric intake, optimizing protein intake to help you reach your goals, learning how to eat for performance and recovery, and you’ll get a TON of recipes to help you along the way. We’ll have an info session on Saturday Jan 23 from 9-9:30am. The “challenge” will start Monday Feb 1 and run for 8 weeks.
Last – A Software Switcharoo…
- Because I’m married to the KING of research, we’ve decided that the best software platform we want to use for the gym to track everything from memberships, birthdays, class attendance, ETC (caps, because this platform is AMAZING in all it can do), we are going to be switching over to Push Press (instead of Zen Planner) soon. I’m a little nervous about getting everything over from ZP to PP, but apparently the PP crew handle the switch and it’s supposed to be painless. I’m not sure yet what we’ll need from you, but I do know I’m going to ask for a lot of patience with this process!
Cheers to the beginning of a new year, new (positive) changes, and lots to look forward to. Please reach out to me any time if you have any questions!